Dative Subjects (was: Re: Genetic Descent)

Leo A. Connolly connolly at memphis.edu
Sat Jul 7 16:19:46 UTC 2001

"A. G. Kozak" wrote:

> [...]

This verb (which, BTW, came out as "flyncan" on my Mac, since the codes
for thorn and edh on a PC represent ligatures fl fi on the Mac) is far
from unique.  _like_ underwent the same change: the experiencer used to
be a dative object, but was then made subject.  OE also had _me
hyngrede_ 'I hungered', _swa: gesae:lde iu_ "thus happened to you", _hu:
hyre gespe:ow_ 'how her succeeded'.  _Methinks_ is the last remnant of a
once proud class of verbs that still survives in German: _mich dünkt_
'methinks', _mir scheint_ 'seems to me', _mich hungert_ 'me hungers',
_mich dürstet_ 'me thirsts'.

But was _Tyncean_ actually abandoned?  I don't think so.  If anything,
_Tencean_ 'cogitate' was, which (had it survived) would have yielded
modern *thenk or *thench, depending on whether the 3.sg. or 1.sg. was
generalized (cf. _seek_ beside compound _beseech_).  Methinks that
_Tyncean_ survived, acquiring the meaning (and grammar) of extinct *thenk/ch.

Leo Connolly