Dative Subjects (was: Re: Genetic Descent)

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Sat Jul 7 20:35:02 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "A. G. Kozak" <agkozak at socrates.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 6:39 PM

[Ed Selleslagh]

You may be interested in learning that in Dutch this expression still exists
(mainly in Flanders): "me dunkt" instead of "denk ik" (or "ik denk" (I think)
according to the place in the sentence). Curiously enough, most dictionaries
seem to believe that "dunken" is a variant of "denken" (to think), probably
misled (mizzled??? :-)) by the erroneous interpretation of the noun "eigendunk"
(=exaggerated self-esteem, self-conceit) as "thought about oneself" instead
of "that what seems to oneself". This interpretation looks pretty old, as in
texts from several centuries ago you can find a past tense "me docht"
("***methought"), using the conjugation of "denken". BTW, the verb "dunken" is
lost in Dutch.

Ed.