Word Order and verb endings (was Re: No Proto-Celtic?)

Thomas McFadden tmcfadde at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 9 00:13:34 UTC 2001

the remark was based on a misunderstanding on my part of what Vidhhyanath
Rao was arguing for.  unfortunately i deleted the messages i was
originally talking about, so i couldn't go back and re-read your
suggestion, but i was concerned that a language was being postulated that
made no morpho-syntactic distinction between finite verbs and nouns.
since all attested languages do make that distinction (in a variety of
very interesting and very different ways), it would violate the UP to
argue for an unattested language that didn't.  like i said, i don't have
your posting on the topic anymore, so i don't know if you were actually
suggesting something of the sort, or if i just misunderstood, as i did
with V.R.'s posting.

Tom

[ Moderator's note:
  It is always possible to check the archives of this list which are kindly
  maintained for us by the good folk at the LINGUIST List:

	http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/indo-european.html

  Just a reminder for those who may have forgotten the archives exist.
  -- rma ]