'albeit'

David Salmon dsalmon at salmon.org
Mon Jul 23 22:44:10 UTC 2001

I use this word regularly, both orally and in writing.  Did not know it was
missing or would have spoken up sooner.

I think its use is not uncommon in the legal profession (of which I am a
member), which is not averse to obsolete words and which has a particular
need of words that make logical distinctions, such as "therefore,"
"however," "moreover," "but," and others.

Funny, I've always thought of myself as simply having a larger than average
vocabulary, a feature which also is the pride of the English language, and
of Shakespeare.  I do not think I violate its rules of good usage by
employing it.  "Trask's Law" is merely "Trask's Preference."  By his rubric,
the best communicator would be one who uses simple, everyday words, lest
others fail to understand.  The smaller and more au courant the vocabulary,
the better, and certainly one must not use words he doesn't use.  Actually,
although ideas are often best expressed simply and clearly (when possible),
I've always found that the use of uncommon words in the midst of otherwise
simple speech or writing improves an argument, cements a point, if used with
care and restraint.  I've also never found others to have much problem
understanding me.  Trask's assumption that the masses are ignorant of the
word "albeit" is elitist.  :-)

David
currently of California