Descent vs. Influence

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Thu Jul 26 12:32:15 UTC 2001

> So, is that what you consider the difference between descent and influence? -

> sound-meaning correspondences = descent
> distinctions made, ordering of elements and so on = influence

> So where one finds systematic "sound-meaning correspondence", are those forms
> indicative of "descent?"

        No.  Sometimes elements from a foreign source have been incorporated
into a native frame, as in the French element in English.  So  I was
defining what is not even potentially descent.  As for other things, I would
be moderately happy to have Hungarian "goulash" described as Hungarian
"lexical influence" (however minor) in English.   I would not be happy to
have "goulash" make English a mixed language that is one-millionth (or
whatever) Hungarian, by descent.  The limits of when the concept of
incorporation may be applied were, by the way, what Dr. Trask and I were
arguing about (or should have been) before my Aug 1 deadline (closely
followed by an Aug 15 deadline) intervened.  I think Michif can be seen as
French incorporated into Cree, Anglo-Romani as Romani incorporated in
English, etc.  Not everyone agrees.   I will get back to it.

Dr. David L. White