thy thigh etc.

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Fri Jun 1 18:18:57 UTC 2001

I won't comment on the others, but <kinkajou> is the ordinary
vernacular English name for the Meso- and South American
mammal _Potos flavus_.  It's in the 6th edition (1999) of _Walker's
Mammals of the World_, a standard zoological reference, and in all
four of the competing American 1-vol. desk dictionaries I've
checked (Merriam-Webster, Random House, Webster's New
World, American Heritage).  Etymology is curious--a
misapplication of a North American French word for the wolverine,
borrowed from Algonquian languages.

Jim Rader