thy thigh etc. (external sandhi in English)

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 2 16:32:49 UTC 2001

>> English speakers
>> have no trouble with names like Vladivostock or words like zloty.

> I don't know about that. Most Americans pronounce zloty /zl-/ rather than
> /zw-/

We were talking about initial fricative + /l/, and I offered the English
pronunciation of zloty as an example.  The "proper" pronunciation is not
relevant - my point is that English speakers have no trouble pronouncing
/zlOti:/, so the combination /zl-/, although not found in English words, is
not impossible for an English speaker.

Peter