thy thigh etc.

Sam Martin semartin at pacifier.com
Tue Jun 5 14:49:38 UTC 2001

Larry Trask mentions the revival of the properly buried "albeit". He may
be amused that I have heard this resurrected word pronounced as if it were
German, riming with "Arbeit". The latter, by the way, was borrowed into
Japanese (arubaito) with the meaning "part-time job, side job".

He also mentions the proliferating use of -wise. This is a productive
bound particle, rather than a derivative suffix. Sentence-wise it can go
anywhere, syntax-wise. Usage-wise, I have collected some delightful
examples, wise-wise. Notice that "street-wise" can have two different
meanings: "street-wise youngsters" has the derivative suffix, but
"Street-wise, this city is a mess!" has the particle. The meaning of the
particle is very similar to that of the Japanese particle of backgrounding
focus wa "as for, when it comes to". As a particle the -wise can attach to
a plural, and I could have substituted "Streets-wise" for "Street-wise" in
the example above. Like Japanese multiple-wa phrases, the
particle can occur two or three (or more?) times in a single sentence.
Afterthought-wise, at least. Structure-wise the particle belongs with focus
devices, I think.