thy thigh etc.

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 5 19:30:24 UTC 2001

> Have you any way of supplying us with meanings?

Yes of course - the dictionary I quoted them from!   They were just a random
sample, and you may find the Anglo-Indian ones (which I didn't include) more
interesting than these, but for what it's worth, here are the definitions
(abbreviated, because I can't be bothered typing the whole thing out.)

>>    Bayard           chivlarous person
>>    hoodman-blind    Blind-man's bluff
>>    kinnikinic       tobacco substitute
>>    kinkajou         N American animal, like a racoon
>>    kino             tree gum
>>    kintal           100 lbs, 100 kg, 112 lbs. (an interesting weight!)
>>    rahat lakoum     Turkish sweetmeat
>>    raff             = riff-raff
>>    sleuth-hound     blood hound
>>    ubiety           being in a definite place, whereness
>>    xoanon   etc.    image of deity fallen from heaven.

Peter