Possible phonological changes (was: Rate of change)

Ante Aikio anaikio at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Jun 8 04:47:10 UTC 2001

[Larry Trask:]

>Certain of the Pama-Nyungan languages have undergone such dramatic
>phonological changes that words in them look very little like their
>cognates in related languages that have not undergone such dramatic
>changes.  Australianists were at first baffled by the position of these
>strange-looking languages, but then Barry Blake -- in an undergraduate
>dissertation -- spotted the clear patterns underlying the superficial
>absence of resemblances, and the problem languages then proved to be
>easily assignable to Pama-Nyungan.  The main casulaty here was our ideas
>about possible phonological changes, which took something of a hammering.

Just out of curiosity: how strange are the changes in these Pama-Nyungan
languages?

Most examples of bizarre changes that I know are from various Samoyedic
languages, e.g. *w- > q-, *j- > q-, *V- > ngV-, *mp > ngf and even *s- >
k- before /e/ and /i/! But I'd be most interested in other examples of
uncommon phonetic developments.

And, if anyone can make any sense of the phonetic side of the change *s >
*k mentioned above, I'd be glad to hear it...

Regards,

Ante Aikio