Possible phonological changes (was: Rate of change)

Ignasi Adiego adiego at fil.ub.es
Wed Jun 13 22:21:17 UTC 2001

> And, if anyone can make any sense of the phonetic side of the change *s >
> *k mentioned above, I'd be glad to hear it...

> Regards,
> Ante Aikio

I don't know the circumstances of Samoyedic historical phonology, but a
change *s > *k could be acceptable if one assumes an intermediate step *h or
*x or the like, so *s > *h > *k. or *s > *h > *k or even *s > *h > *x > *k
Both *s > *h and *x/h > *k are banal (for *s > *h cf. Ancient Greek or
Avestan; for *x > *k or *h > *k, cf. Lycian or Carian).

Regards,
Ignasi-Xavier Adiego.