On "Joke Usage"

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 15:12:17 UTC 2001

In a message dated 6/14/2001 1:11:38 AM, dlwhite at texas.net writes:
<< This is a sub-case of the "it was different in those days" view of
language change, by which all sorts of bizarre things happened in the past,
in situations we are not able to observe, in this case mixed languages
lurking under every rock, a la Steve Long.>>

A mild correction.  My position is that "all sorts of bizarre things" are
also happening in the present.

<<...Other than silly things like the joke usage of "moi" in English.>>

Good example.  I imagine the last of the Anglo-Saxon wordists hearing that
medieval Muppeteer Chaucer reciting his Tales and then calling all those
French and Latin words "silly things" that should properly be categorized as
"joke usage."  Would make a good theoretical category, explaining how such
usage can fundamentally take over the substance of a language with a hearty
sense of humor, like English.  On a similar note, I heard an ESPN commentator
explain how one player had plans to "out-jumpize" the height advantage of the
Lakers.  Damn that Chaucer, Miss Piggy and the companies that customize
mini-vans.

<<...in this case mixed languages lurking under every rock...>>

Or staring you in the face.

Dr White's situation is not unlike that of the English natural philosopher
who traveled to Australia prepared to debunk the existence of the platypus,
the kangaroo, etc.  A boxing match was arranged between the philosopher and a
representative of one of these fauna.  After being soundly thrashed and
knocked out in the first round, Dr White - I mean, the philosopher denied he
had lost the match on the grounds that his opponent was theoretically
impossible.

Living la vita loca,
Steve Long