Yew Two

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Mon Jun 25 13:39:08 UTC 2001

Mr. Long is playing with Irish orthography here.  The Old Irish word
is <ibar>, with a short <i>, as cited earlier in the message.  The
spellings with <iu> reflect Early Modern Irish developments (growth
of a glide vowel, shift of the diphthongal crest) and resemblance to
Greek <iophoros> is chimerical.  Fluctuations between <io/iu>
spellings in Modern Irish/Scottish Gaelic words reflect mid/high
vowel exchanges in dialects that have nothing to do with the Old
Irish forms of the words.

Jim Rader