Rate of Change

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Wed Jun 27 06:50:26 UTC 2001

At 10:29 AM 6/22/01 +0200, Eduard Selleslagh wrote:
>> Quite so, even based on my amateur studies of post-Norman England I cannot
>> name any 100 year period without any social change.  Sometimes change was
>> even fast by modern standards.  The changes after the end of Stephen's
>> reign were extremely rapid, as Henry didn't tolerate much guff.

>[Ed Selleslagh]

>I made a clear exception for "periods of upheaval, relatively sudden
>migrations etc.". I guess the Norman invasion in England was a major upheaval
>with long lasting after-effects.

Remarkably long lasting :-)  Stephen's reign ended about 90 years after the
Conquest!  And about 60 years later the Magna Carta was being signed - 150
years after the Conquest.  And very shortly after that were the three
Edwards with their own brand of changes (new laws, new conquests, new
nobles, ...).

The fact is one can date an English castle to within 50 or so years just by
its architecture - from shortly before the Conquest all the way until the
mid 1300s at least (and probably later).  So at least one aspect of English
culture was constantly changing for over 300 years.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at friesen.net