Red Deer in Anatolia

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 13:28:29 UTC 2001

In a message dated 6/28/2001 6:30:05 AM, JoatSimeon at aol.com writes:
<<-- no.  This is a false statement.  These are distinct terms in enough IE
languages that the attribution of PIE *elhen is secure. >>

-- no. This is a false statement.  There are no clearly attested terms in any
early enough IE languages that distinguished between the fallow and red deer.

I'm reminded of the Monte Python skit.
Eric Idle:  You're not arguing.  You're just being contrary.
John Cleese:  [pause, thinking]  No-I'm-not.

Actually what I mean to say - attempting to behave in a more rational way -
is that if you know of any pair of terms that *clearly contrast* the fallow
and red deer species in IE languages before Latin before @100 AD, I'd like to
see them.  If you can produce them - in context, if possible - then I might
have to concede the distinction might validly be reconstructed in *PIE.
Otherwise, I can say with confidence I see no logical basis for your
conclusions.

Regards,
S. Long