Handfuls of Unrelated Forms

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 16:35:32 UTC 2001

In a message dated 6/28/2001 4:38:04 AM, alderson+mail at panix.com writes:

<< Once again, the crucial importance of vowel length has been missed.
The words for _arrow_ and _poison_ both begin with a *long* vowel, /i:/,
while the present active participle of _ei~mi_ "go" (accent is also
important, since this is a different verb from _eimi'_ "be") begins with a
*short* vowel /i/.

Further, in the accusative /i:on/ the final consonant is etymologically < *-m,
as is obvious from a perusal of the introductory handbooks, while in the
participle /ion/ (neuter nominative/accusative singular), /-n/ is final due to
the Greek rule dropping final -t (cf. the stem, found in the genitive
_iontos_).  There is nothing at all to connect these forms historically; to
claim otherwise is to return to the days of _lucus a non lucendo_ and the
fly-foot fox.

Steve, you have a terrible habit of grabbing handfuls of unrelated forms which
look to you as if their semantics ought to connect them...>>

I'm sorry but this is REALLY undeserved.

1. Let me give you an earlier post on this list where you might have brought
all this up: