Possible phonological changes (was: Rate of change)

Gabor Sandi g_sandi at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 30 13:43:44 UTC 2001

>From: Rick Mc Callister <RMCCALLI at SUNMUW1.MUW.EDU>

Since in many varieties of Argentinian Spanish (as well as in Chile and
Uruguay), the phonetic realizations of orthographic <y> and <ll> are also [Z],
do these examples imply that there are varieties of Spanish where lluvia 'rain'
and rubia 'blonde' are homophones, pronounced as ['ZuBya]? Same for callo 'corn
(on foot)' and carro 'cart, car', both [kaZo]?

Gabor