Morphological remodelling

M.O.McCullagh mom20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 15:13:44 UTC 2001

 Can anyone on the list think of examples of morphological remodelling
within a verbal paradigm based on a single ending? The only secure example
I have been able to come up with is the creation of new middle imperative
endings in Greek from the basis of the second plural ending -sthe. That
example seems to me particularly interesting because second plural forms
are statistically the least frequent of all the personal endings
(according to Bybee's Morphology). I'd be very interested to hear of
similar remodellings, inside or outside IE.

 Matthew McCullagh,
 Cambridge University