Morphological remodelling

Adam Hyllested adahyl at cphling.dk
Thu Mar 22 10:36:53 UTC 2001

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, M.O.McCullagh wrote:

>  Can anyone on the list think of examples of morphological remodelling
> within a verbal paradigm based on a single ending? The only secure example
> I have been able to come up with is the creation of new middle imperative
> endings in Greek from the basis of the second plural ending -sthe. That
> example seems to me particularly interesting because second plural forms
> are statistically the least frequent of all the personal endings
> (according to Bybee's Morphology).

But this rule does not apply to the imperative mood, where, for obvious
reasons, the second singular and second plural forms are the _most_
frequent. I doubt you can find any morphological remodelling in other
moods based on the second plural endings (except for the exception that
proves the rule, of course ;-).

Adam Hyllested