Non-Indic sustrate vocabulary

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Thu Mar 22 06:02:43 UTC 2001

At 11:16 AM 3/17/01 +0000, petegray wrote:

>>.. Indus Valley script ... a form
>> of a dravidian language. I was strongly [surprised]..

>Why surprised?  I would have expected it as a possibility.

Indeed, I would even say I have long suspected this to be the case.

Having looked at the Web page mention, I find the evidence strongly
suggestive, especially the homophonies.  Until the approach can be used to
produce reasonable reading for most inscriptions it cannot be held as
"established", but I think the author has produced a good prima facie case
for treating Dravidian as the default hypothesis.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at friesen.net