Lactose Intolerance

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Sat Mar 24 14:19:12 UTC 2001

At 09:33 PM 3/21/01 -0600, philjennings at juno.com wrote:
>A companion to this hypothesis is that the Anatolians brought with them not
>just fermented milk products, but the whole idea of fermentation/leavening,
>almost immediately applied to beer and later to bread.  Is there evidence for
>beer in Sumer or Egypt prior to the mid-3rd millennium bce?  (Linguistic or
>otherwise?)  I'm given to understand that there is, and that this companion
>hypothesis fails.

Absolutely.  Beer is a staple food as far back as there is writing in both
Mesopotamia and Egypt.  In fact beer is one of the main foods of the poorer
classes - it was often used as payment for laborers prior to the invention
of money.  (This results in it, or its precursors such as malted grain,
being common in inventory lists).

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at friesen.net