Advice needed

Alexey Fuchs alexeyf at zoran.co.il
Wed May 2 12:26:38 UTC 2001

Dear list members!

I am seeking advice on the following topic. I wish to study comparative and
indo-european linguistics (that, in the broadest sense, while specialization
depends on the offered course of studies, my conclusions and penchants).
Lack of resources forced me to delay these studies until I've gained a
practical profession. Sorry for the personal details; the non-practical
profession in question means much more for me (and, I suppose, to you, that
being the reason of my inquiry on this list) than the one I've acquired in
the meantime. The accumulating resources make me plan the beginning of
studies in winter semester of 2002, in a year and a half.

I have decided to apply for studies in Germany; there is no tuition fee,
which makes life much easier, and, probably, there are universities in that
country that offer adequate education in the field of liguistics, at least
giving the opportunity to seek further degrees in other countries (or to
continue at the same location).

The question I bring here is a question of choice. In which university in
Germany would your recommend to begin my education? I was considering
Freiburg University and Freie Universitaet in Berlin. However, I cannot come
to any conclusion without an advice from an educated person.

Please advice me on that matter; if the topic is considered inadequate on
the list, please contact me off-list, if you think you can be more helpful
if I provide more detail, I'd be delighted and grateful to be in
correspondence.

Thank you in advance,
Alexey Fuchs