Greek from PIE

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Wed May 2 22:30:37 UTC 2001

>> Why is nobody mentioning Palmer's book on the subject?  Is it
>> considered discredited?  There is also Lejeune.

>> Dr. David L. White

> And why not Antoine Meillet's "Aperçu d'une histoire de langue grecque",
> Paris 1935 ? (many reprints, German transl., possibly English but I am not
> sure).

        There is also Wright's work on the subject, though being
pre-laryngeal it might be considered little more than a historical
curiosity.   Re-inventing Saussure's wheel from what was known or thought of
PIE at that time might prove an interesting "excercise for the reader."
        And yes, Palmer is a little "introductory", but my impression from
having used his work in combination with Rix, Lejeune, and Sihler is that he
is about 80% of the way toward these.

Dr. David L. White