Olives/was: Lactose Intolerance/Renfrew

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Thu May 3 13:29:04 UTC 2001

I seem to recall instances where /ei/ in Old Latin or perhaps more
accurately pre-Latin yielded /e:/ rather than /i:/ before the
semivowel <u>.  Hence *ole:uom > *ole:um by loss of the
semivowel before o/u and then > attested <oleum> by the rule that
"vocalis ante vocalem corripitur."  <Olea> would be a new formation
on the model of <oli:va>.  A similar case is <di:vus> as opposed to
<deus>, both from *deiuos.

Jim Rader