Indian Names/Red Clay

Thu May 3 15:55:44 UTC 2001

	colorado is indeed "red" (including muddy red)
	colorido is "colorful, coloring, (brightly) colored" --which
wouldn't work because the Colorado has a dull color

	As far as I know, colorado has always meant "red" in modern Spanish
(i.e. since the discovery of America

[snip]
>        Yes, but Sulphur Springs is 250 miles from the Colorado, and in the
>basin (indirectly) of the Red River (which might explain a few things, but
>not "Colorado"), so attempting to connect "Colorado" with anything around
>there is roughly equivalent to attempting to connect "London" with some
>feature of the land around Snowdonia.   I saw the Colorado about half way to
>the sea from Austin not long ago (no, I was not on a field-trip for the
>edification of the list:  I was on my way to play Crocodilian Hunter, which
>I did with fair success, in the wilds of suburban Houston), and it is not
>red there either.  It is a sort of olive green.    Therefore I continue to
>suspect that the original meaning intended was 'colorful' (which the
>Colorado is, compared to the muddy brown competition), not 'red'.
[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women