Etruscan / Pelasgian

Carol F. Justus cjustus at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 4 03:26:12 UTC 2001

Within the cuneiform tradition of ancient Hattusa, it is often thought that
Luwian Tarhunta and Hittite Tarhun (stormgods) have a prototype in Hattic
Taru. This is based on bilingual texts between Hattic and Hittite, for
example.

The transmission of religious traditions during the 400-odd years of
attested Hittite texts is itself not exactly straightforward, but fun to
play with, as I did some years ago in an article in JIES (indexed on the
website by author and volume /date at the new URL

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/iedocctr/jies.html ).

The Hittites preserved Hattic rituals from pre-Hittite Hattusa and added
Hurrian rituals and a pantheon at least by the time that Hattusili III had
married Puduhepa, the Hurrian priestess from Kizzuwatna, at the behest of
the goddess Ishtar (Babylonian deity). In the Hittite-Hurrian pantheon,
Tesup replaced Taru / Tarhun as head stormgod.

The coincidence of similiar-sounding 'Tarquinia' is tempting, but how would
you fill in the historical and phonological blanks? At Hattusa we are
fortunate to have bilingual texts and changing traditions that can be
correlated with repercusions of events perhaps.

Carol Justus

[ moderator snip ]