Etruscans

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Thu May 3 14:38:25 UTC 2001

But Welsh <aber> doesn't only look Indo-European, it has a
generally accepted etymology, i.e., *ad-ber-, "place to which water
rushes/flows," paralleled in Goidelic by Old Irish <in(d)ber>, "river
mouth" (Inver- in Scottish place names), with different prefixation of
the same verbal root.  A base *ber- with other prefixes is well-
attested in Celtic.  Pokorny reconstructs *bher- "aufwallen (von
quellendem oder siedendem Wasser)," with a mass of somewhat
dubious comparanda, but on Celtic grounds an Indo-European
*bher- would be unimpeachable.

Jim Rader

[ moderator snip ]