Yeshua (WAS: Peter) [off-topic]

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Thu May 3 19:01:09 UTC 2001

[ Moderator's note:
  This posting, and the following, are the last I will accept on this thread.
  Those who wish to continue the discussion should take it to private mail or
  to an appropriate mailing list.
  -- rma ]

> How exactly would a contemporary European pious
> Jewish family assist the tourists to part with their money?

I certainly meant no offence to anyone - I hadn't even thought of the
stereotype, and I should have done.  I would have avoided wording the
comment this way, if I had realised - so, I apologise to all of you.

I meant roughly what the moderator suggested, simply that tourism supplies a
part of the national income, and Belgians of any religious affiliation could
be involved in the tourist industry, and that this is often done through the
medium of English.

Despite my stupid wording, the polyglot character of life in the Low
Countries is still an interesting phenomenon, which may help us understand
potential parallels in other times and places.

Peter