Yeshua (WAS: Peter)

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Tue May 1 19:03:59 UTC 2001

[ Moderator's note:
  This posting, and the preceding, are the last I will accept on this thread.
  Those who wish to continue the discussion should take it to private mail or
  to an appropriate mailing list.
  -- rma ]

> the gospels ... are simply not historically tenable sources. Therefore to ...
> create a historical figure Yeshua is purely in the realm of hypothesis.

This is a debate which has been thrashed out thoroughly within historical
and theological circles through this century, and linguists are unwise to
enter it without a sound knowledge of what the historian/theologians have
achieved.

The consensus conclusion from them is that we cannot seriously doubt the
existence of a historical figure called Jesus;  we can, however, dispute
what that person did and said, and the field is wide open as to how to
interpret his alleged words and actions.

Might I , however, suggest that we return to linguistics?

Peter