No Proto-Celtic?

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Sun May 6 14:09:41 UTC 2001

> And also in spoken French
> singular @m plural z at m

>> [Ed Selleslagh]

>> Grammatically determined initial-consonant mutations (I think it's important
>> to be that explicit about it) occur in other, still existing, languages too:

        French liasion is abstractly similar to Celtic mutation, for both
might be described as the phonemicization of originally phonetic processes
occurring across boundaries.  I think there probably is a link, as other
suspiciously Celtic-seeming things occur in French, such as excessive (to my
mind) clefting.
        But be that as it may, mutations are actually fairly common,
according to my understanding,  in sub-standard dialects of Romance and
Greek.  An examples from Tuscan appears in the Encyclopedia Brittanica
(1973?) article on Celtic, and someone wrote a book on the subject a while
back.

Dr. David L. White