Urheimat animals

Rich Alderson alderson+mail at panix.com
Mon May 7 17:46:09 UTC 2001

On 3 May 2001, Alberto Lombardo wrote:

> I think we could add to the sentence whales, beavers, elks, many kinds of
> birds and salmons too (Thieme 1953). It brings to north in the search of the
> native homeland.

There has of course been a great deal of work since Thieme, much informed by
more recent developments in paleobotany and paleoclimatology.  Besides the work
on IE tree names (Friedrich, _Proto-Indo-European Trees_), there was a paper I
read in pre-print on the salmonid fishes of Europe and Asia which concluded
that the salmon of Thieme's work is not the only candidate for the referent of
the PIE etymon *lok'so-.  (I apologize for being sketchy on the details, but it
was 25 years ago, and being passed from hand to hand among a group of graduate
students.  If anyone can identify it, that would be very helpful.)

								Rich Alderson