Pelasgian Place-names

Mon May 7 17:33:52 UTC 2001

>> How old a god is Tarhun(d/t)?  Could he possibly be pre-Anatolian (ie.
>> Pelasgian on the theory that Pelasgian <> Anatolian)?

>        I do not know, but the form of the name is very close to Etruscan
>version of "Tarchun", as in various names that come down in Latin as
>"Tarquin-", which is a little suspicious.

	Would the source of Latin tarquin- /tarkwin, tar_qu_in/ & Etruscan
tarchun /tarkhun?, tarxun?/ be something like /tarhwin, tarxwin/ ?

	Early Latin had an /h/, and borrowed Greek /kh/ was usually
transcribed as <ch>, so I'm guessing the <qu-> had to come from something
else
	Or is it possible that Etrucan <chu-> was a conventional spelling
for /khw-/?

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women