A Note on Beavers

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Wed May 16 01:49:27 UTC 2001

<JoatSimeon at aol.com> (domenica 6 maggio 2001 11.41) writes:
<<...The neolithic range of the beaver stopped well short of the
mediterranean and most of Anatolia.  Again, this reinforces the PIE lexicon
for animals as being specifically north-central Eurasian...>>

The Beaver definitely appears to be a native of Anatolia.  So the beaver is
just another example of an animal that apparently could support an Anatolian
origin for IE languages.

In fact, it appears the beaver could support a origin of the IE languages on
the Eurprates. See: Legge, A. J. and P.A. Rowley-Conwy, "The Beaver (Castor
fiber L.) in the Tigris-Euphrates Basin." Journal of Archaeological Science
13:469-476 (1986).  References to the beaver being absent from "the
mediterranean zone" is to a narrow climate zone, not a location.  The beaver
lived in the south.