Return of the minimal pairs

Leo A. Connolly connolly at memphis.edu
Mon May 21 05:36:33 UTC 2001

On May 17 Robert Whiting wrote, among other things, concering the
thy:thigh question:

>   The fact that initial [D] occurs only in
> function or grammatical (or closed-class) words is not what keeps initial
> [T] and [D] from contrasting in English.  What keeps them from contrasting
> is the fact that initial [D] in English is always a morpheme.

I beg your pardon?  If [D-] is a morpheme, then _thy_, _this_, _then_
etc. must consist of at least two morphemes each.  If _thy_ matches
_thou_ and _thee_, or _then_ matches _when?_, what does _though_ match?
How could _though_, or _thus_, have more than one morpheme?

Leo Connolly