mobile pronouns (was: No Proto-Celtic?)

Thomas McFadden tmcfadde at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Thu May 24 17:37:17 UTC 2001

a point that should be brought up here is that languages seem to prefer
suffixes to prefixes in general, but it is not the case that languages
prefer VS order.  in fact it's strongly dispreferred.  and clitic pronouns
generally appear closer to the beginning of the sentence than full noun
phrases do, so positing a proto-language that was SV with full NP
subjects but VS with pronoun subjects would strike me as very odd (do such
languages exist?).  so i don't think we can argue based on agreement
suffixes alone that a language was VS at some point in its history.

[ moderator snip ]