SV: PIE

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at online.no
Sat May 26 11:07:46 UTC 2001

Enrikay1 at aol.com [SMTP:Enrikay1 at aol.com] skrev 23. mai 2001 08:05:

> best-we-can-at-this-time-construct PIE?  Is there some authoritative book(s),
> which would help me understand PIE and consequently the development of the IE
> languages as seen today?  If any one of you would be so kind as to point me
> in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.  I'm very excited about
> receiving more of your e-mails!

Here are some suggestions. They are given sine ira et studio, without any
preferences and evaluations. I have included some material on Indo-European
culture as well. If you plan to make a boilerplate "intro to Indo-European
studies", they may come in handy.

Beekes, R. S. P. 1996. Comparative Indo-European linguistics : an
introduction. Amsterdam ; Philadelphia: J. Benjamins Pub.

Meillet, Antoine. 1970. The Comparative Method in Historical Linguistics.
Paris: Librairie Honore Champion, Editeur.

Meillet, A. 1964. Introduction a l'Etude Comparative des Langues Indo-Eu
ropeennes. Forge Village: University of Alabama Press.

Kurylowicz, Jerzy. 1964. The Inflectional Categories of Indo-European.
Heidelberg: Carl Winter Universitatsverlag.

Lindeman, Fredrik Otto. 1987. Introduction to the 'Laryngeal Theory'. Oslo:
Norwegian University Press.

Schmitt, Rudiger. 1967. Dichtung und Dichtersprache in indogermanischer
Zeit. Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz.

Schmitt, Rudiger, ed. 1968. Indogermanischer Dichtersprache, Wege der
Forschung. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft.

Szemerenyi, Oswald. 1989. Einfuhrung in die vergleichende
Sprachwissenschaft. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft.

Watkins, Calvert, ed. 1969. Indogermanische Grammatik, Formenlehre. Edited
by J. Kurylowicz. Vol. III/1, Indogermanische Grammatik. Heidelberg: Carl
Winter Universitatsverlag.

Jamison, S. 1979. The case of the agent in Indo-European. Die Sprache
15:129-143.

Kurylowicz, J. 1935. Etudes indoeuropeennes I. Krakow.

Kurylowicz, J. 1956. L'apophonie en indo-europeen. Krakow.

Winter, W. 1965. Evidence for Laryngeals. The Hague.

Meillet, A. 1950. Les dialectes indo-europeennes. Paris.

Cowgill, Warren, and Manfred Mayrhofer. 1986. Indogermanische Grammatik.
Band I. Heidelberg: Carl Winter Universitatsverlag.

Lehmann, W. P. 1980. The Reconstruction  of Non-Simple Sentences in
Proto-Indo-European. In Current Issues in Linguistic Theory. Amsterdam.

Lehmann, Winfred P. 1974. Proto-Indo-European Syntax. London.

Lehmann, Winfred P. 1993. Theoretical Bases of Indo-European Linguistics.
London and New York: Routledge.

Sergent, Bernard. 1995. Les Indo-Europeens. Histoire, langues, mythes.
Paris: Editions Payot & Rivages.

Mallory, J. P., and Douglas Q. Adams. 1997. Encyclopedia of Indo-European
culture. London ; Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn.

Mallory, J. P. 1989. In search of the Indo-Europeans : language,
archaeology, and myth. New York, N.Y.: Thames and Hudson.

Best regards,
Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,