thy thigh etc.

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Sat May 26 18:43:09 UTC 2001

> .  If we look at the consecutive editions of any good desk
> dictionary of English, we find that these become steadily larger over time,
> ....  It seems that very many of the new words
> do not replace anything:

Undoubtedly true, but wastage still occurs.  My copy of the Concise Oxford
of 1911, 3rd edition 1934, contains many Anglo-Indian words which would now
be very quaint, if understood at all.  It also contains words such as:
   Bayard
   hoodman-blind
   kinnikinic
   kinkajou
   kino
   kintal
   rahat lakoum
   raff
   sleuth-hound
   ubiety
   xoanon   etc.
I have no way of checking if these are in the modern editions, but I don't
mind guessing that many of them are not.

Peter