NATSASHA & ANTON - GOOD NEWS!!!

Magdalena Smoczynska ULSMOCZY at Vela.filg.uj.edu.pl
Tue Dec 8 20:03:18 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues!

I am happy to give you some very good news about
Anton Gagarin. Yesterday, after the most recent bone marrow
test was performed the doctors have declared that the child
is in remission. They will continue the chemotherapy
for quite a long time to make sure that all the bad
cells are killed, but they are rather optimistic.
For the time being they do not think that
a bone marrow transplantation would be necessary,
but of course this can change.

Another good news is that the insurance company
by which Natasha is insured agreed to take over the
costs of Anton's treatment. This means that
WE STOP THE ACTION OF COLLECTING MONEY.
We hope we would not have to start it again.
Whatever money is left from what has been collected so far
will be kept to be used for Anton in case some extra
need arises or to cover his further treatment next
year, after his German insurance expires.

I want to tell you that the donations you made,
whether large or small, were of crucial importance and have
contributed to secure the financing of Anton's treatment
at this extremely difficult transitional stage. I think
that we really helped this little lad to have a better
chance to live. We also supported our colleague who was
having a very difficult time.

God bless you all!

I would like to especially thank those of you who acted
as local organizers of help actions and who spent their
time to help Anton. To give you just a few names: Wolfgang
Dressler, Sabine Klamfper, Sylvia Moesmueller from Vienna,
Austria; Giuseppe Capelli from Pisa, Italy; Ann Lindvall
from Lund, Sweden; Camilla Wide from Helsinki, Finland;
Kirsten Meyer Bjerkan from Oslo, Norway; Barbara
Zurer Pearson from Amherst (U. Massachusetts) US;
Wayles E. Browne from Ithaca (Cornell U.), US...
There are other people whose help was really crucial
at different stages of the entire help action:
without Wolfgang Dressler, Wolfgang Klein and Dagmar
Bittner all this could not be organized. I am afraid
I still forgot somebody...

Some of these people are Natasha's personal friends
and colleagues. But some of them NEVER MET HER (like
Barbara Pearson!) They are to be admired and thanked
for their generosity and solidarity. Many other people
not only made donations but looked for information,
contacted organizations and so on... Thank you all!
Barbara Pearson will circulate her report about money
collection in America.

Those of you who forwarded my appeal for help to other
lists and groups of people or made your own appeals,
please make other people know these good news and call
off the action of money collection.

I hope to finally get Natasha's and Anton's photos on
my home page

     http://www.filg.uj.edu.pl/~ulsmoczy/

They are not yet there, but they will be there. I promise.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU! IT IS COMING.

Magdalena Smoczynska

Appended is the list of people who have contacted me about
Anton, money donations etc. since the last circular was
posted