Blends

Charles Watkins charles.watkins at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 30 19:39:18 UTC 1999

re Rochelle Newman's recent posting.

I am interested. I am researching into deixis using bilingual data (French
and English), and one of my subjects frequently produces "lat" (presumably a
blend of "là" - French "there" - and "that"). The subject (aged around two
as well) tends to do this in emotionally charged situations, and the phoneme
/l/ also makes systematic rogue appearances as the initial phoneme in "yes"
(pronounced "lyes"), but only if it is a contradictory "yes". Any
information you might have about blending of deictics from the parent you
were talking to would be interesting.

Charles Watkins
Professeur Agrégé, Université de Paris XIII, France.