ADOLESCENT LANGUAGE

Jeffrey Pascoe jeffp at llsys.com
Thu Aug 12 15:30:34 UTC 1999

Hi Annette,

(Since you brought it up) When I was in college in Boston in the mid
1970's, we used "wicked" to mean terrific (a wicked party!) and as an
intensifier (the disco band is wicked good!).

Another word with evolving connotations is "whatever." These days one
commonly hears this used to communicate indifference, and we also hear it
used to acknowledge the indifference of others (especially when it's hurtful):
    "I can't go to your play tonight because Seinfeld is on."
    "Whatever"

Then, of course, there are "awesome" and "sweet" -the latest in a
continuing series (hip/cool/neat/groovy/out-a-sight...).

An example of a grammatical colloquialism used by many in this area (and
elsewhere?) is "alls" for "all that":

"Alls I did was..."
"Alls I said was..."

Sounds like a fun project!

Cheers,
Jeffrey P.

Jeffrey P. Pascoe, Ph.D.                     /\
Laureate Learning Systems                   /  \/\
110 East Spring Street                   /\/    \ \
Winooski, VT  05404  USA                /==\=====\=\
Tel# (802) 655-4755 ext# 26
Fax# (802) 655-4757                     V E R M O N T
http://www.LaureateLearning.com