ADOLESCENT LANGUAGE

heather at wfc.com.tw heather at wfc.com.tw
Fri Aug 13 03:08:41 UTC 1999

Hello,

Many words go from bad to good: It might sound out dated but Michael
Jackson sang a line 'Who's Bad?' This is still used today. As in 'He's
bad.' Meaning very impressive, admirable.

"License to Ill" album title by the Beastie Boys. They meant not 'permitted
to make sick.' 'Ill' here means very good. This is still used today.
"That's Ill" meaning, that's impressive.

"Bithchin." Very good.
"That's gnarly." That's such an impressive trick or move, as in skating or
surfing.
"That's killer!" I'm so glad to hear that!
"It blew my mind." It really made me think about things differently.

"Dope, yo." Very good.
"She's fly." She's very pretty.
"That's the shit." That's a great thing.
"He's bad ass". He's very tough, 'cool.'
"You kick ass." You're the best.
"That's da Bomb!" That's the best thing.

A simple word like 'postal' went a different route recently:
"Go Postal." (also 'went postal') I cannot be sure if this had anything but
a benign meaning before it began to connote someone who has started to
become randomly violent- as in the case of a few US postal workers.

I hope this helps! I bet there's alot of stuff on the internet, but it'd be
difficult to sift through.

a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk (Annette Karmiloff-Smith) on 08/11/99
07:38:16 PM