lang. change

Shelley Velleman velleman at comdis.umass.edu
Fri Aug 13 13:51:22 UTC 1999

I remember exactly when "bad" came to mean "really good" among
mainstream teenagers in the U.S.  I was in France on my junior year
abroad in 1974-1975, with a bunch of other college students from all
over the U.S.  We drove around France during the Easter Break, staying
in youth yostels and therefore running into other Americans our age for
the first time in several months.  We were asking one group about other
hostels they had stayed in, and they said that a certain youth hostel
had a pool, full breakfasts, etc. -- "It was really bad!".  We were
confused, and had to ask for clarification.

Shelley Velleman
U.Mass.