Language change

Asa Nordqvist asanord at ling.gu.se
Sun Aug 15 12:01:23 UTC 1999

>I haven't seen any mention of the "new" ways to report dialogue using
>either "go" (the oldest and most widespread form), "like" or "all"

In Swedish it's very common among teenagers to use the Swedish word "bara"
('just') when reporting dialogue, like:

Ah han bara "gillar du verkligen Backstreet Boys?",  ah daa bara hon liksom
"jaa...".
'And he just "do you really like Backstreet boys?", and then she just kind
of "yeah...".'

Asa Nordqvist

AAsa Nordqvist
Dept of Linguistics                 phone: +46-31-7734627
Goeteborg University                fax: +46-31-7734853
Box 200                             e-mail: asanord at ling.gu.se
SE-405 30  Goeteborg                http://www.ling.gu.se/~asanord/
Sweden