language change among young people: 'uptalk?'

Lise Menn lmenn at psych.colorado.edu
Mon Aug 16 03:11:15 UTC 1999

That one's been around for a while, and probably another case of gradual
regional spread,  because in the PBS video American Tongues, which is
quite old now, a New York comedian makes fun of it as 'southern', and then
later it was documented, I think by Pam Munro of UCLA, as a California
Valley Girl talk pattern.  The rise - which has by now become part of my
speech also (and I'm past 55 and from the northeast) - functionally
replaces 'y'know' as an appeal to shared experience.

Lise Menn
Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Colorado