language change among young people: 'uptalk?'

Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 16 07:29:06 UTC 1999

Ages ago when I was a simultaneous interpreter at the UN, rising intonation
was used as a device to keep the headphone-listeneing audience's attention
when the actual speaker sat down but you were a couple of sentences behind
and wanted your audience to continue listening. So it functioned as an
attention holder rather than turning statements into questions.  I recall
an Australian consecutive interpreter explaining that he used body position
in a similar way, exaggerated the lean forwards when the real speaker
slumped back having finished.
Annette