adolescent language

Cote, Linda (NICHD) cotel at cfr.nichd.nih.gov
Fri Aug 20 11:59:46 UTC 1999

I do not know if you're still collecting examples of adolescent language, but
here are a few more (courtesy of my 17-year-old niece & her friends; they live
in the U.S. Midwest):

gay - used as an adjective. It isn't meant as an insult to homosexuals it
merely means "annoying and stupid."
"My computer class was filled with idiots who always acted so gay."

CS - common sense
"She lacks all CS."

dog - friend
"You'll come with me right dog?"

ghetto - a ghetto is no longer just a place it also describes a place
dilapidated or in an unfashionable area.
"Universal Mall is so ghetto."

I think someone else who responded to this topic said that "ghetto" was used in
a positive manner in their area of the country/world.

Linda Cote