ADOLESCENT LANGUAGE

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 24 05:57:11 UTC 1999

Annette,
	Suzanne Romaine talks a lot about peer group sociology, but this
does not actually explain the FORMS of adolescent language.  Of course,
there are many, many examples of forms that are used (in various English
dialects and other languages).  Just what are you looking for?  Do you
know Suzanne?  It could be useful to talk to her.  There's a lot about
age-grading, male/female language, home/school...  She covers phonology,
morphology, and syntax.  But the book is mainly a compendium of examples,
with discussion of theories that were popular 15 years ago or more.
She's especially stimulated by Labov's studies of urban dialects.

-Dan