motor impairment and language

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Wed Dec 1 00:50:22 UTC 1999

Dear Brian and INFO-CHILDES,

Chomsky's suggestion that structure-dependence is innate is a far cry from
claiming that motor-development plays *no* role in language acquisition.

As far as I can tell, Sieratzki and Woll's  interesting results are
primarily about differences in rates of acquiring language-particular
information (which must, in part, rest on sensory information), whereas the
quote from Chomsky is, -- I think, given how he cashes out "the phenomena
of language that demand explanation" in paragraph 2 and his other work --
primarily about linguistic universals (some or all of which could turn out
to develop in the mind of the child prior to womb-external experience).
Interesting to see whether one could find differences in the putative
universals, and if so whether those could be attributed to differences in
experience.

Best wishes,
Gary