ocular dominance and input

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Fri Dec 3 02:34:18 UTC 1999

Dear Brian (cc: Ping, and info-CHILDES),

In my view, you are confusing the question of activity-dependence with the
question of learning. In my discussion of Hubener and Bonhoeffer (and
implicitly Crowley & Katz, Nature Neuroscience, 2, 1125-1130),  I wrote
that the "basic structure [of some aspects of V1] seems to be available
prior to (womb-external) experience." You seem to challenge my
interpretation, by saying that it is open question whether
activity-dependence plays an important role in the formation of (the
relevant aspects of) V1.  But while I agree that  it is for now unclear
whether activity-dependence plays an important role in the formation of
(the relevant aspects of) V1, I don't think that lack of clarity has
anything to do with my question of womb-external learning. It could well
turn out that activity plays an important role; but if the
relevant  activity is internally generated (as it would have to be in a
darkened womb or in Crowley  and Katz's ferrets, whose retinas were
surgically removed), we could not attribute the relevant aspects of
development to learning.

As Katz put it in earlier paper with Shatz, in which he and Shatz discussed
internally-generated waves:

>  visual experience alone cannot account for many features of visual
> system development. In nonhuman primates, for example, ocular dominance
> columns in layer 4 begin to form in utero and are fully formed by birth.
> Thus, although visual experience can modify existing columns, initial
> formation of the stripes is independent of visual experience. Other
> features of cortical functional architecture, such as orientation tuning
> and orientation columns, are also present before any visual experience...
> [Katz, L.C., & Shatz, C.J. (1996). Synaptic activity and the construction
> of cortical circuits. Science, 274, 1133-1138].

Now, you may not care about the question of "learning vs. maturation", but
I do. For me, it is interesting to ask whether particular aspects of the
machinery that supports language and cognition arise prior to experience --
I thought that that was how we got into this discussion in the first place.
For me, then it is interesting that the ocular dominance columns can
develop in a darkened womb or in an emulated ferret; I wrote in because I
found Ping's letter (and  Nelson's review) to be unbalanced, emphasizing
the role of (womb-external) experience without making it clear that such
experience is not always required.

I find the question of whether brain development is "interactive" far less
interesting, for I honestly don't see how the answer could be no. If the
development of the stomach or liver is interactive, surely the development
of the brain must be too. Crowely and Katz's work is grist for Nelson's
mill because everything is. In mammalian development, practically
everything is interactive -- cells always communicate with one another,
with any given cell's fate in part dependent on its neighbors. Let us not
confuse interactivity with learning, though -- some interactions are a
consequence of learning, others not. A more nuanced view is the one
championed early on in  Elman, et 's recent book Rethinking Innateness
(1996, MIT Press); as they put (page 22; see also their table 1.2, page 23):

>the term innate refers to changes that arise of interactions that occur
>within the organism itself during ontogeny. That is, interactions between
>the genes and their molecular and cellular environments without recourse
>to information from outside the organism.

Crowely and Katz's work could be taken as showing that the formation of
ocular dominance columns is innate in exactly this sense.

There's no guarantee of course that the mechanisms that shape the ocular
dominance columns in an enucleated ferret have anything to do with the
mechanisms that shape the brain circuitry for language or cognition.  But
it is important to realize that nature's tool kit includes both mechanisms
for sculpting microcircuitry on the basis of experience, and mechanisms for
sculpting microcircuitry in the absence of experience.

Best,
Gary

p.s. The network simulations that you mention go towards showing one way in
which you could in principle use patterns of neural activity to shape the
ocular dominance columns, but they do not prove that such mechanisms are
*actually used*. As Hubener and Bonhoeffer noted "Crowely and Katz have now
cast doubt on this view" -- in this way, Crowely and Katz's work  serves as
a potent reminder that there's more than one way to equip a ferret.