ocular dominance, input, and language

Ping Li pli at richmond.edu
Fri Dec 3 20:37:51 UTC 1999

Dear Gary, Brian, and Info-childes,

There are two points that I'd like to make (briefly) in response to Gary's
messages:

(1) The "interactive" brain development view is interesting because for too
long developmental psycholinguists have been led to believe that it is the
neural structure of the brain that dictates language development (ala
Chomskyan LAD/UG and Fodorian modularity) - but now evidence suggests that
the learning environment (e.g., input, or what you call womb-external
experience) can "dictate" or change the neural structure of the brain and
that's interesting. Perhaps many mechanisms that we previously thought to
be innate are actually due to very early interative brain developments on
the basis of experience.

(2) Like Brian, I would question the relevance of ocular dominance and the
like to language development. A nativist proposal in language involves much
more abstract notions than ocular dominance columns, and the question here
is whether things like the UG parameters exist prior to experience (and
that experience helps only to set the parameter values). Perhaps the
parameters are after all established on the basis of experience, and
answers to such questions require the examination of the infant's
"interactive" brain development from 0;0 on (Gary, your 7-month-old infants
already had a lot of womb-external linguistic experiences; see Elman (1999)
"Generalization, rules, and neural networks: A simulation of Marcus et. al"
for a similar point at
http://crl.ucsd.edu/~elman/Papers/MVRVsimulation.html).

Best wishes,

Ping